It happens from time to time. You start up mamp to work on a local version of a website and the mysql won’t load. This will prevent you from doing anything with a local website relying on a database such as WordPress.
The first time it happened I played about for a while, even reinstalled it. Nothing. Then I found out there is two ways to fix it.
Quit mamp and then go to Apple > System Preferences > Activity Monitor. You want to force quit any processes with mysql in the name. Then restart and your mamp will work like new.
Advanced way, well not that advanced really:
Quit mamp, open up the terminal and type: killall -9 mysqld now restart mamp and it will work like a charm.
See it really is easy to fix, I remember the first time it happened to me I spent ages looking for a fix.
Filed under: Development